Friday, October 07, 2005

Journal 21 - So, there was this Abduction!!!!

Sooooooo ... how's everyone doing? Good I hope!

OK OK, so I'm sure a lot of you are wondering where the hell I've been for the past few months. Well I had a lot of excuses thought up like:
- I broke all my fingers after defeating a huge gang of ninja's.
- I thought the volcano wasn't as bad as I thought and decided to go back up, but lost my way.
- I got so into the language that I became so fluent that I completely forgot how to speak english ... daijoubu, daijoubu!
- After spending a year teaching simple english, I was embarassed because I forgot how to speak properly ... I go shopping, I met accident.
- I met up with that Buddhist pimp and some of his other Japanese fashion crazed fanatics and started hanging out with them. Thus, following my dream of growing a mullet, dieing it platinum blonde, wearing the fake tan make-up because it's just so cool and wandering the streets in my pink and yellow patterned yukata (Japanese style clothing, but really they're pajamas) with my wooden sandals. In the words of my friend Carl "Fashion never died, they just moved to Japan."
- I found my very own geisha (K, I didn't think of that one, that was from a friend of mine, but when I heard that, I laughed ... a lot!)

Anyway, the real reason was ... there just wasn't anything to talk about. After being here a year, the novelty of travelling around this area has warn off. I've pretty much seen everything and have told you all about it. Don't get me wrong, there's lots still to see in Japan and I'm going to try and see as much as I can. But, unfortunately that requires taking a few extra days off because they're farther away. So, for now it's been the same thing. Go to work, come home!

Oh yeah, before I continue, I just want to clear some confusion ... Yes, I'm still in Japan and no I'm not hiding somewhere in Calgary avoiding everyone. It has been over a year since I left for Japan and my contract was for a year, but I decided to sign up for another. For the reason that there's still a lot more to see here. Look at it this way, it gives all of you a chance to follow through on that comment you made to me. You know which one I mean ... "I've always wanted to visit Japan, now we have an excuse". No Pressure!

So, a year has passed and looking back at the journals I've written, I have accomplished a lot of firsts. First Typhoon, first Japanese karaoke, first ski trip, first experience with "different" foods, first volcano climb .... And the list goes on. Not to mention that wonderful trip to Thailand. I can't say what I have in store for this second year, but we'll see. I have been contemplating the thought of just saving a bunch of money and travelling somewhere for a few months after my second contract before I head back home. Yeah yeah yeah, I know that could change. Still sticking with the day by day philosophy. Some of the goals I have in mind are taking a trip to Harishima, Nikko, and either Hokkaido (far north) or Okinawa (south islands) ... not sure I could do both. I was also told that it's very cheap to fly to Seoul Korea as well as worth seeing. So, a few plans on the works ... I'll keep you posted ... really I will.

The last couple of months have been incredibly busy and not to mention mentally draining. I mentioned this to some of you, but I'm taking on an extra position. I was actually given a promotion to Area Leader. What that means is, I'm pretty much responsible for all the teachers in my area. Any questions they have regarding lessons, campaigns, life in Japan, etc. they ask me about it and I pretend to know the answer. I'm still teaching my regular hours and then adding this to it. At first I didn't think it was going to be difficult, but after a few weeks, I realized ... it's freakin impossible. There's tonnes of extra things I need to keep current on so that I can try to answer questions for these teachers. I'm sure it's just a matter of getting use to everything and building up those organizational skills. Anyway, it does keep me busy which I prefer over sitting around twiddling my thumbs. Not that I was doing that, but you get the idea.

Oh yeah, to add insult to injury, here's a little bit of a shocker I received a few weeks ago. So, I'm at school, doing my regular deal. I had a question to ask my manager, so I went into the office to ask her. After having a long discussion about school stuff, she decides to throw me the comment, "oh, by the way, you have to move". I'm thinking ... huh? She said I have to change apartments. The first question was "why?" Apparently the rental company is going to tear down the old building and build a new one. The second question was "when?" Oh next week! So, it turns out someone, whether it's a person with GEOS or a person with LeoPalace (the rental company), made a mistake. It was known over a month ago that this was going to happen, but decided to tell me a week before I had to move. Well, being the independent, need to know, hate being left out of the loop, kind of guy ... I wasn't very happy with this. So, I had to rely on my co-worker and Manager to find out info for me. That was the longest and most stressful week of my life. I'm the type of person who needs to be on that phone right away and find out what's going, what do I do, when, etc. Well, being in a different country and culture, it doesn't quite work that way. Well, to make a long story short and after a lot of snapping, frustration and well, a nearly fatal murder, I managed to extend the move a week and got an extra day for moving. So, on September 23rd at 8 am, the moving company came to get all my stuff (including the furniture that was already here) and moved me into my new place by 8:30 that morning ... Man, they were fast. There is an advantage to living in a small place. Less to accumulate. Certainly can't be a pack rat in this country. Anyway, so everything was pretty much unpacked and organized all before noon the same day. I forgot to mention the 23rd was a friday as well as a national holiday. I was given the following saturday off as my moving day which meant I had a 4 day weekend ... very nice. Of all the times I've moved in my life, this was by far the easiest and the nice thing was it didn't cost me a cent (or I should say a yen). The only down fall to the whole thing was I had to go through the wait and headache of internet again. So, some of you will notice that I've been offline for a while. That's because I didn't have access until now.

My new apartment isn't really any different from the other one. Maybe a little smaller if that's even possible. It is much cleaner and a lot closer to work (only a 4 minute walk). It's also closer to the fishing port which is good and bad. Good because I can watch the ships come in. Bad because of the smell!!! The end result actually ended up in my favor which I'm happy about.

Well, folks I'm just noticing the time. I need to head to work soon, so I better close. I am sorry for not keeping current with my adventure, but I promise when something interesting happens you will be the first to know. I am still alive, doing well, keeping busy and still enjoying life here. I hope you are all doing the same. I also heard about some new editions the past few months. One of them was my new niece Emma who was born on September 2nd in Halifax. She's a cutey! Congratulations to all of you.

Following this, in other words maybe tonight, I'll post some more miscellaneous pictures including ones from Expo and Tokyo Disney.

Take care everyone,

Joe

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Joe,

Oh, I'm so relieved to hear that everything is allright with you. Has it been a year allready! Wow!!!

I'm glad that you signed up for another year but, honestly, we all really miss you.

Talk to you soon!

- Sasha

10:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Joe
Good to hear that you are still doing well. I can not believe that you have been gone for over a year now! I am excited for you that you are still wanting to continue with your time there...an amazing experience!

As for pictures of Tokoyo Disney...I am really looking forward to those! I would love to go one day!

Hugs, Jeri

9:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Joe,
Glad to know that you ar OK - hope you get to use those Halloween lessons!
Speaking of Halloween, makes me think of X-mas! You know me, I have ALREADY mailed your x-mas gift!!! Hopefully some nice person at LeoPalace will forward it to you!!
Seriously, I mailed it in September!
t xoxox

10:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home