Sunday, October 30, 2005

Journal 22 - On the Road Again, just can't wait to get on ...

So, it's Sunday, October 30th, the day before all Hallow's Eve. I'm listening to this radio station you can get from Yahoo Messenger and it's called "Trick Or Treat" ... all Halloween songs, which I didn't think existed except for "The Monster Mash", which by the way I think I heard 4 or 5 different versions of. Quite amusing! Anyway, some of the songs are quite interesting, some get the raised eye brow rating. But, it's getting me into the spirit ... no pun intended. I do miss Halloween, it's always a fun time. Japan's version of Halloween is bringing out the "Nightmare Before Christmas" paraphernalia. Oh yeah, just to let you know, the current song I'm listening to is "Welcome to my Nightmare" by Alice Cooper. So, hopefully everyone is doing well and also getting into the Halloween spirit. I, myself, have been going quite nuts. More things happened since last I wrote. The title pretty much says it all ... Yes, I'm moving again!

Here's the story ... A few weeks ago, I was in Nagoya for a 2 day training session. The training went well, I learned a lot. Some of it was a little useless, but I digress. Anyway, during one of the training sessions, I got pulled aside by my trainer and director. Of course when you hear your boss go "Can I talk to you?", you sense the worst or at least I do. They put me in this room, just the three of us and preceded to give me a review of how I was doing. Well, I was happy to hear that I received the best review ever. We're talking making Joe's head swell up 10 times over. They heard nothing but great things about me from students, other teachers, and my co-workers. So, naturally that made me feel great. Then there was a "therefore" .... they want to move me to another school in a mall. This school is in a city called Hamamatsu about an hour west from where I am now. The school just opened last April and has grown immensely. Unfortunately, there has been an issue with the current teacher and the rest of the staff. So, they want a more experienced teacher, someone who can not only work well with students, but with management as well. That's where I come in. Recently, GEOS, has opened up a few schools in malls and have been quite successful. This, apparently, is going to be one of the biggest schools. Not only because it's in a mall, but because Hamamatsu is known for shopping. Anyone who mentions Hamamatsu will know that it's the place to go shopping ... I have no idea why. So, as of November 20th, I'll be moving ... AGAIN ... to another city and to another school. Oh yeah, did I mention my classes will consist of mostly children? That's always fun, but at the same time very difficult. Children just suck the energy as I'm sure some of you know. I know I will be extra busy, but at the same time I'm looking forward to the challenge.

The next couple weeks, I'm sure will be difficult. Telling my students that I'm leaving won't be easy, especially the kids. But, if you think about it, it's not unusual for an English teacher to leave after a year. Afterall, that is the duration of our contract. So, right now I'm going through mix feelings of excitment, fear and sorrow. But, I know it will be a good move. And look at it this way, I might actually have more to write about.

I know this is very short, but I wanted to get this out and let all of you know what is going on. Some of you already sent me an email asking what my new email is. This is the reason why I haven't given it to you yet. Once I move to this new city, I will definitely send it to you.

Anyway, hope all is well with everyone and I will chat with you later. Oh and to end this blog, we have "The Vampire Song" by Concrete Blonde.

Sayanara

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Funny! I am listening to "Thriller" by the REAL Michael Jackson! Congrats on the good review and move! So exciting!!! Teaching in a mall - MY DREAM!! Shop and teach...teach and shop!! Glad you got your Christmas present before you moved. Take care and let us know your new address. Miss you!!!
t xoxo

11:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello love,
Glad to get news from you. I am leaving Chamonix Mont-Blanc in 2 days the emails will be the same.
Gros bisoux
Maryse

5:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Joe:

Best of luck with your move to the "shopping" city. Kiwa and I just booked our flights to Tokyo in March - hopefully we can hook up during that time !!

Chris

1:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ahh...reminds me of my year and a half teaching with NOVA in Tokyo. Glad you are having fun and you look great! I must admit, however, I don't miss Japan. I am happy to be back with loud, opinionated people like me!! I hope to see you at the next reunion! :) Amy Weichel xoxo

6:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home